Monday, June 8, 2015

6/8/15 - From Townhouse to Nightmare?

I have refrained from posting anything on here for the last few days in an attempt to give the situation a little time to settle down and see what comes of it, but so far that hasn't accomplished anything, so in my quest to be completely truthful about this experience it's time to let everyone know where we stand today.

We had our pre-drywall meeting Friday the 5th.  When I showed up to meet Ryan and our new PM Mark, I'm greeted with being asked if I'd heard about our appraisal.  Pretty ominous words right?  Now to give you a little backstory, I learned very early on that the appraisal on the house beside ours came back low and have constantly asked if this was something that we should be concerned about.  Every time I've been told no. Apparently I was correct in my fears.

I immediately fired off emails to everyone that we'd dealt with throughout building this house trying to get some information about what was going on.  It would be well into the next day before I would be gifted with a reply.   We're finally told that the appraisal was over $20,000 low.

$20,000!!!!

So I ask what that means to us at this point.  Now keep in mind that our house is supposed to be finished in 50ish days.  We've already paid all our money.  We've already sold our current house.  We've already been through all of the mortgage approval steps,  and we are as of Thursday living in a borrowed apartment until our new house is supposedly going to be done.

We're told we can either come out of pocket $20,000 on top of all the money we've already paid for our down payment,  or we can strip the house of all the options that we selected to put into it.

Their justification is that the house would've met the appraisal if we hadn't added anything to it.  Can you tell me how ridiculous that is.  Never mind the fact that the entire new home buying process consisted of multiple meetings to pick out all our choices, apparently none of them are actually able to be done without coming out of pocket for all of it.

My advice to all of you is to be very carful when dealing with Ryan Homes.  I'd read all the bad reviews and such about dealing with them, but gave everyone the benefit of the doubt.  My wife and I were extremely upfront with everyone that we've dealt with through the entire process and now not only do we no longer have our old home of 11 years,  but we get to tell our friends, family and our 7 year old son that he no longer gets the new house that's he's been looking forward to for the last 4 months.  

I wish I'd never set foot in this house.





No comments:

Post a Comment